Generally speaking, there are four types of triggers that cause one to eat:
- Smelling Pizza as you walk by a pizza shop.
- Stress at school or work.
- Physical and/or verbal abuse.
- Difficult family relationships.
- Bullying about body weight or shape.
- Stressful life events (e.g., loss of job, relationship breakdown)
- This movie is sad and is making me feel bad; I need a snack.
- I feel bad because my best friend was fired from her job; I should have some ice cream.
We will never be able to eliminate our triggers, so learning to deal with them is the best course of action for long-term success!