12. Making Decisions Ahead of Time!
The Need to Make Good Decisions Before We Have Consequences!
- Ultimate Goal is Acceptance
- Most helpful and important skill to develop is to think through how eating will make us feel when we finish eating; not making decisions based upon what we think it will make us feel.
- Additionally, we need to be able to identify the difference between true hunger and cravings.
Coping With Hunger & Cravings!
- Label what you are feeling.
- True Hunger/Cravings
- Rate Degree of Discomfort
- Drink Water
- Read Response Cards
- Ride the wave and realize that it’s usually only 5 minutes that the craving will last.
- Engage in activity that is inconsistent with eating.
- Read your “12 Reasons”
- Future time envisioning (both positive and negative)
- Remind self of hunger experiment
- NO CHOICE! I will keep my word!
IF HUNGER IS NOT THE PROBLEM, THEN FOOD IS NOT THE SOLUTION!
I CAN DO HARD THINGS! I AM TOUGH! THERE IS SO MUCH FREEDOM IN BOUNDARIES! FOLLOWING A SCHEDULE WILL RELIEVE ME OF HAVING TO MAKE CONTINUOUS EATING DECISIONS. NOT FOLLOWING A SCHEDULE IS A FALSE FREEDOM BECAUSE IT MIRES ME IN FOOD THOUGHTS!
We need to make decisions when we are not in the heat of the moment (Hot Brain vs Cool Brain); Planning ahead is the best defense we have against bad decisions! We also are able to cut down on the number of eating decisions we are having to make in a day and are less likely to make bad choices. (i.e. I am tired; I am stressed; I am in pain)